Get Involved

volunteers

There are many ways to get involved with Urban Roots. Join us today!      

Give

donate

Urban Roots relies on contributions from the community to continue providing empowering work and service opportunities for youth and the Austin community on our urban sustainable farm, as well as to continue donating 40% of our harvest to local hunger relief agencies and those in need. All donations to Urban Roots are tax-deductible. Your support […]

About Us

about

Urban Roots uses food and farming to transform the lives of young people and engage, inspire, and nourish the community. Founded in 2007 as a program of YouthLaunch, Urban Roots has transitioned to become an independent non-profit agency in the fall of 2011.

Give

Urban Roots relies on contributions from the community to continue providing empowering work and service opportunities for youth and the Austin community on our urban sustainable farm, as well as to continue donating 40% of our harvest to local hunger relief agencies and those in need. All donations to Urban Roots are tax-deductible. Your support of our mission is helpful in countless ways. Thank you. Learn More

Featured

  • UR collage 2

    Our New Mission

    In June of 2014, the Urban Roots Board of Directors made history by approving a new mission that strengthens our core purpose. What began with 15 youth leaders on one acre of farmland at the Hands of the Earth farm quickly grew to 30 youth leaders working the entire 3.5 acres in just two years. […]

  • 10646848_10152802829954374_3887076614920539214_n

    Thank You for Sharing Your Stories!

    We asked you to tell us your stories, what inspires you about Urban Roots and why you do what you do with Urban Roots.  The response was incredible!  Thank you to everyone who participated in our survey.  Here are some of the inspiring stories sent to us.  We hope that you all will continue to […]

  • Open House Invite

    Open House

      Please join us for an Open House! This is a great opportunity to learn about Urban Roots and what we do. There will be light refreshments at 6pm with the program starting promptly at 6:15pm. Please wear close toed shoes as a farm tour is part of the program. We look forward to seeing […]

  • Family FUN (2)

    Family Fun Days on the UR Farm!

    We are excited to announce that our 2014 Outreach Interns will be hosting a Family Fun Days on our farm this fall!   We will be offering self-guided tours with educational and interactive stations placed around the farm.   Our Interns invite guests of all-ages to learn more about our farm and nutrition through a variety […]

  • 295
  • photo-8

    Check out our fall schedule for Educational Tours!

        We are excited to be offering Educational Tours this fall from mid October through mid December on Wednesdays and Fridays, 8:30-12:30p. Click on the picture above for more information or email Meg@urbanrootsatx.org.

  • IMG_0369

    Urban Roots and Hunger Relief

    Part of Urban Roots’ mission is to increase access to healthy food in Austin.  We sell 60% of our produce to customers at the Farmers Market, CSA, and wholesale orders.  The other 40% of our produce is donated to local food pantries and soup kitchens in Austin. Austin has experienced enormous population growth in the […]

  • 10347188_10152517979449374_6216503670419829775_n

    Growing Food! Growing Leaders! Growing Community!

    June marks the beginning of our Summer Youth Internship.  For five weeks, 30 youth interns will spend four days a week growing vegetables on the farm, learning job skills, cooking with some of Austin’s best chefs, and serving those in need in our community. While this is a youth development program, it is also a […]