Educational Farm Tours
Urban Roots offers age-appropriate Educational Tours for groups of students (10 – 25 people in total) from elementary school through college. Led by Urban Roots youth with staff support, Educational Tours include a farm tour and fun, interactive educational activities about:
- sustainable farming
- making healthy food choices
- where our food comes from
- hunger issues
Other Activities might involve:
- nature exploration
- ability / age-appropriate hands-on farm work
- hunger awareness
Schedule an Educational Tour for the Summer 2014:
Starting on June 10th 2014 through July 10th 2014, Urban Roots youth leaders will be hosting Educational Tours on Tuesday and Thursdays mornings (between 9a - 12:00p). Tours must be booked at least two weeks in advance.
- 1 Hour Tour includes:
- Introductions/ice breaker, 25 minute tour of the Urban Roots farm, educational game, closing/reflection
- 1.5 Hour Tour includes:
- Introductions/ice breaker, 25 minute tour of the Urban Roots farm, 20 minutes of hands-on field work, educational game, closing/reflection
- 2 Hour Tour includes:
- Introductions/ice breaker, 30 minute tour of the Urban Roots farm, 40 minutes of hands-on field work, educational game, closing/reflection
To schedule an Educational Tour, please send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your preferred tour options, dates, times, number of participates, and the age range of the participants. We will process your request and email you with follow-up as soon as possible. Tours are scheduled free of charge on a first come, first served basis.
We can accommodate as few as 10 people and as many as 25 people in total per tour. We have found that keeping the tour size between 10 – 25 people helps to make sure everyone enjoys their Urban Roots experience! These numbers should include an adequate amount of adult supervision who will be responsible for actively participating with their students and for discipling students in their group – please see chart below.
Interested groups must:
- Provide transportation to and from the farm for their group. Parking is available along Delwau Lane.
- Bring completed Parent Consent Forms for each youth participating and/or Agency Liability Release Forms to the farm on the day of their tour. These forms will be emailed to the tour contact upon confirmation of tour details. We must receive completed forms for each person participating prior to the start of tour. We cannot begin our Educational Tour until we have all the completed forms.
- Ensure all tour participants wear closed-toe shoes. Participants wearing opened-toe shoes will not be allowed to participate in the farm tour and the field work.
- Disclose any information that may prevent a participant from being able to fully engage in the Educational Tour. We would like to address and discuss any accessibility needs prior to scheduling a tour to ensure we are able to provide the complete Urban Roots experience to all of our participants.
Urban Roots Educational Tours for the Summer of 2014 are free of charge!
- Recruitment – Is your group between the ages of 14 – 17? If so, we can add a brief recruitment workshop to your tour, sharing information to your group about joining the Urban Roots team as a paid youth Farm Intern! Our Farm Interns work from mid-February until mid July, learning farming techniques, leadership & public speaking skills, and building a community based on service! If you are interested in having a portion of your Educational Tour focused on recruitment, please include so in your request email to email@example.com.
Contact Meg Mattingly at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask questions, find out more information, and schedule your group’s Educational Farm Tour at Urban Roots!