Educational Farm Tours
Urban Roots offers age-appropriate Educational Tours for groups of students (10 – 25 students in total) from elementary school through college. Led by Urban Roots youth and/or staff, Educational Tours include a farm tour with educational components including:
- sustainable farming
- making healthy food choices
- where our food comes from
- youth voice
Other Activities might involve:
- nature exploration
- ability / age-appropriate hands-on farm work
- farm quiz
We will be offering Educational Tours this Fall starting October 14th until December 12th, 2014. We will have tours on Wednesday and Friday between 8:30-12:30p. Email Meg@urbanrootsatx.org to set up a tour!
- 1 Hour Tour includes:
- Introductions/ice breaker, 25 minute tour of the Urban Roots farm, educational game, closing/reflection
- 1.5 Hour Tour includes:
- Introductions/ice breaker, 25 minute tour of the Urban Roots farm, 20 minutes of hands-on field work, educational game, closing/reflection
To schedule an Educational Tour, please send an email request to email@example.com. Please include your preferred tour options, dates, times, number of participates, and the age range of the participants. We will process your request and email you with follow-up as soon as possible. Tours are scheduled free of charge on a first come, first served basis.
We can accommodate as few as 10 students and as many as 25 students in total per tour. We have found that keeping the tour size between 10 – 25 students helps to make sure everyone enjoys their Urban Roots experience! These numbers must include an adequate amount of adult supervision who will be responsible for actively participating with their students and for discipling students in their group – please see chart below.
The above ratios (adult to youth) must be met in order for the tour to be conducted. If the number of students participating falls below 10 and/or the adult to youth ratios are not met, Urban Roots will postpone the tour until the groups are able to meet the minimum standard.
Interested groups must:
- Provide transportation to and from the farm for their group. Parking is available along Delwau Lane.
- Bring completed Parent Consent Forms for each youth participating and/or Agency Liability Release Forms to the farm on the day of their tour. These forms will be emailed to the tour contact upon confirmation of tour details. We must receive completed forms for each person participating prior to the start of tour. We cannot begin our Educational Tour until we have all the completed forms.
- Ensure all tour participants wear closed-toe shoes. Participants wearing opened-toe shoes will not be allowed to participate in the farm tour and the field work.
- Disclose any information that may prevent a participant from being able to fully engage in the Educational Tour. We would like to address and discuss any accessibility needs prior to scheduling a tour to ensure we are able to provide the complete Urban Roots experience to all of our participants.
- It is imperative that the tour group arrives on time. Urban Roots is not able to accommodate groups that arrive 15 minutes (or more) past their schedule start time. If this happens, the group will be asked to reschedule via email.
Urban Roots Educational Tours for the fall of 2014 are free of charge!
- Recruitment – Is your group between the ages of 14 – 17? If so, we can add a brief recruitment workshop to your tour, sharing information to your group about joining the Urban Roots team as a paid youth Farm Intern! Our Farm Interns work from mid-February until mid July, learning farming techniques, leadership & public speaking skills, and building a community based on service! If you are interested in having a portion of your Educational Tour focused on recruitment, please include so in your request email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Meg Mattingly at email@example.com to ask questions, find out more information, and schedule your group’s Educational Farm Tour at Urban Roots!