Educational Farm Tours
We are all booked for the summer, and not taking any more groups at this time.
Please check back in August for our fall schedule.
Urban Roots offers age-appropriate Educational Tours for groups of students from elementary school through college. Led by Urban Roots youth and/or staff, Educational Tours include a farm tour with educational components including:
- sustainable farming
- making healthy food choices
- where our food comes from
- youth voice
Other Activities might involve:
- nature exploration
- ability / age-appropriate hands-on farm work
- farm quiz
- 1 Hour Tour includes:
- Introductions/ice breaker, 25 minute tour of the Urban Roots farm, educational game, closing/reflection
- 1.5 Hour Tour includes:
- Introductions/ice breaker, 25 minute tour of the Urban Roots farm, 20 minutes of hands-on field work, educational game, closing/reflection
To schedule an Educational Tour, please send an email request to email@example.com. Please include your preferred tour options, dates, times, number of participates, and the age range of the participants. We will process your request and email you with follow-up as soon as possible. Tours are scheduled on a first come, first served basis, and free to all groups that come out.
We can accommodate as few as 10 students for each tour. These numbers must include an adequate amount of adult supervision who will be responsible for actively participating with their students and for discipling students in their group – please see chart below.
The above ratios (adult to youth) must be met in order for the tour to be conducted. If the number of students participating falls below 10 and/or the adult to youth ratios are not met, Urban Roots will postpone the tour until the groups are able to meet the minimum standard.
Interested groups must:
- Provide transportation to and from the farm for their group. Parking is available along Delwau Lane.
- Bring completed Parent Consent Forms for each youth participating and/or Agency Liability Release Forms to the farm on the day of their tour. These forms will be emailed to the tour contact upon confirmation of tour details. We must receive completed forms for each person participating prior to the start of tour. We cannot begin our Educational Tour until we have all the completed forms.
- Ensure all tour participants wear closed-toe shoes. Participants wearing opened-toe shoes will not be allowed to participate in the farm tour and the field work.
- Disclose any information that may prevent a participant from being able to fully engage in the Educational Tour. We would like to address and discuss any accessibility needs prior to scheduling a tour to ensure we are able to provide the complete Urban Roots experience to all of our participants.
- It is imperative that the tour group arrives on time. Urban Roots is not able to accommodate groups that arrive 15 minutes (or more) past their schedule start time. If this happens, the group will be asked to reschedule via email.
Urban Roots Educational Tours for the Spring and Summer of 2015 are free of charge!
Contact Meg Mattingly at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask questions, find out more information, and schedule your group’s Educational Farm Tour at Urban Roots!